Ideas That Generate Results
Generic Drugs Market in Brazil (2007-2011)
Brazil, one of the major emerging powers of the world, is marking its presence in almost every dimension of the world economy, including the generic drugs industry. Identifying the importance of the country in this significant domain, the leading market research firm, RNCOS, has come up with research report “Generic Drugs Market in Brazil (2007-2011)” to provide an updated and detailed account of the Brazilian generic drugs industry. It examines the chief reasons why all major generic players are heading to Brazil to manufacture and sell their drugs.
Brazil is currently the largest market for generic drugs in Latin America and with the current scenario and positive future projections, it is likely to emerge amongst the most potential markets for generic drugs in the world.
The generic drugs market in Brazil witnessed an explosive growth of 38.8% and was valued in excess of US$ 1 Billion in 2006. The market was driven by several factors such as a supporting political environment, lower cost and patent expirations of several blockbuster drugs. The market is presently being dominated by domestic generic manufacturers; however, the presence of foreign firms in the market is increasing rapidly.
The growth of the market is expected to remain strong with generics expected to occupy 22.8% of the total market by 2011, enabling Brazil to become one of the largest generic markets in the world. However, despite the strong growth, several challenges still remain to be tackled, including the prevalence of cheaper non-bioequivalent “similar drugs”, low prescriptions from the private sector, and low penetration levels in the private sector.
- Generics in Brazil occupy nearly 9.5% of the overall pharmaceutical market in terms of sales value.
- The domestic generic firms of Brazil are over-dependent on the domestic market and have less participation in foreign markets.
- The Brazilian government has made it a norm to prescribe generics in the public sector.
- Strengthening of the Brazilian Real has increased the margins of domestic players who import raw materials to manufacture generic drugs. Currently, the domestic industry mainly focuses on finishing generic pharmaceuticals.
- One of the biggest opportunities in the generic sector lies in the Antiretroviral segment.
- Non-bioequivalent “similar drugs”, which are considerably cheaper than generics, are prevalent in the pharmaceutical market.
- Cardiovascular diseases are the biggest death cause in Brazil.
- Medley and EMS Sigma are the biggest generic manufacturers in Brazil.
Key Issues & Facts Analyzed
Key Issues & Facts Analyzed
- Evaluation of past, current and future market trends.
- Discussion about the size and growth of the market.
- Analysis of healthcare indicators.
- Future prospects of the generics market.
- Analysis of various challenges and opportunities before the industry.
- Profile discussion of key players in this sector.
Key Players Analyzed
This section provides the overview, key facts, and financial information of prominent players in the Brazil Generics Market, such as Medley, EMS Sigma Pharma, Eurofarma Laboratorios Ltd, Aché Pharmaceutical Laboratories S/A and Ranbaxy.
Research Methodology Used
The analysis methods include ratio analysis, historical trend analysis, linear regression analysis using software tools, judgmental forecasting, and cause and effect analysis.