Global Positioning System (GPS) is a revolutionary tool, which provides unequalled accuracy and flexibility of positioning for navigation, surveying and Geographic information system (GIS) data capture. Growing use in automotive and consumer applications is propelling the market for mobile location technologies. Although standalone products are quite popular, the most common applications are built around Portable Navigation Devices (PNDs), mobile phones, or car navigation systems. Moreover, the technology is fast gaining acceptance worldwide, as it is penetrating into previously untapped areas, says “World GPS Market Forecast to 2012”, a new market research report by RNCOS.
The report provides a comprehensive review on the market trends, drivers, challenges, and opportunities that are vital for the success of GPS industry across the world. Analysis is presented for major geographic markets such as the US, Canada, Europe, Japan, and other Asian countries like India and China. The report gives a detailed analysis on the end-user applications, including In-Vehicle Navigation, Survey/Mapping, Machine Control and others.
- Currently, Japan has the highest in-vehicle navigation system penetration followed by North American and European countries.
- The 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing and Shanghai World Expo in 2010 are expected to trigger an explosion in the commercial telematics market in China.
- With the rapid development of GPS market in countries like China and India, majority of navigation systems are anticipated to be shipped in Asia-Pacific by 2012.
- Taiwan has emerged as a manufacturing destination for GPS products on the global map, attracting major players to set up their production facilities in the country.
- With the growing demand for navigational services, the global market for Location Based Services (LBS) is likely to grow at a CAGR of more than 104%.
- As of 2007, PNDs dominated the GPS device market with more than 90% market share. However, this share is expected to get disturbed by the availability of GPS-enabled handsets that will account for an estimated 78% market share by 2012 end.
- Opportunities remain untapped for various vertical segments of GPS market, like in new advanced access devices, chipset availability, and PND market.
Key Issues Analyzed
- What is the current status of the global GPS market?
- What are the factors that are fueling growth into the global GPS market?
- Industry profile of various countries like U.S., Japan, China, India, etc.
- What are the current and future trends in the global GPS market?
- Which areas are creating opportunities for various segments in the global GPS market>
- Which factors may inhibit the growth in global GPS market?
- Who are the Key players in global GPS market?
This section provides brief overview of the key players in the global GPS Market. Top five players include Garmin International Inc., TomTom International BV, Mio Technology Corporation, Magellan and Navman. Others players are Rockwell Collins Inc., Trimble, Leica Geosystems, Hemisphere GPS Inc., Fine Digital USA Inc. and SIRF Technology Inc.
Research Methodology Used
Information has been sourced from books, newspapers, trade journals, and white papers, industry portals, government agencies, trade associations, monitoring industry news and developments, and through access to more than 3000 paid databases.
The analysis method includes ratio analysis, historical trend analysis, linear regression analysis using software tools, judgmental forecasting, and cause and effect analysis.