Ideas That Generate Results
Indian Pharma Sector Analysis
The market research report “Indian Pharma Sector Analysis” by RNCOS is detailed study of the Indian pharmaceutical market. It does an exhaustive investigation on the structure of the domestic pharmaceutical market and gives a thorough analysis of the driving and restraining forces operating against it.
India has one of the fastest growing pharmaceutical markets in the world. In 2006-07, this market was valued at over US$ 7 Billion. Driven by a huge patient base, increasing incomes, improving healthcare infrastructure and strong penetration of health insurance, the pharmaceutical market is expected to grow more than double its size in the next five years. Drugs for acute diseases presently dominate this market; however, the increasing penetration of lifestyle-related diseases is expected to fuel the growth of drugs targeting chronic diseases.
The Indian pharmaceutical market at present is highly fragmented, with the top three companies having a market share of around 5% each. However, introduction of the product patent regime is likely to result in heavy consolidation in future.
- The domestic pharmaceutical market in India has grown at a CAGR of nearly 12% in the last five years.
- At present, drugs for mass therapies dominate, however, driven by an increasing prevalence of lifestyle-associated diseases, drugs for specialty therapies are expected to remain buoyant in future.
- Around 67 Million Indians are expected to be above 67 years of age by 2011. This age group spends around 3 to 4 times more on drugs than those in younger age groups, thus fuelling the market growth.
- Patented drugs, which had no share in the pharmaceutical market, are expected to have a 10% market share in 2010.
- Around 64% Indians are not covered under by health insurance and pay expenses for pharmaceuticals out of pocket.
- Driven by factors such as rising rural incomes and a strong distribution network, India’s rural pharmaceutical market is experiencing a strong growth.
- The product patent regime will encourage the Indian companies to invest more in Research and Development.
Key Issues & Facts Analyzed
- Evaluation of past, current and future market trends.
- Evaluation of the market by segment.
- Discussion about the major drivers of the pharmaceutical market.
- Analysis of the opportunities created by the market.
- Review on the government regulations on the market.
- Analysis of the major challenges faced by the market.
- Competitive landscape of the market.
Key Players Analyzed
This section provides the overview, key facts and financial information of prominent players in the Indian pharmaceutical market Like Ranbaxy Laboratories Limited, Cipla Limited, GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Limited, Nicholas Piramal India Limited and Zydus Cadila.
Research Methodology Used
Information has been sourced from books, newspapers, trade journals, and white papers, industry portals, government agencies, trade associations, monitoring industry news and developments, and through access to more than 3000 paid databases.
The analysis methods include ratio analysis, historical trend analysis, linear regression analysis using software tools, judgmental forecasting, and cause and effect analysis.